Sven Mikser is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. He has been a member of the Social Democratic Party since 2005.
Born on November 8th 1973 in Tartu.
- In 2015-2016, Sven Mikser was a member of the 13th Riigikogu and served as the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee.He was a member of the Riigikogu Delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
- In 2014–2015, Sven Mikser was the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 1999–2014, Mikser was a member of the 9th, 10th, 11th, and the 12th Riigikogu.
- From 2011–2014, Mikser performed the duties of the chairman of the Social Democratic Party’s fraction and served as a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
- From 2007–2011, Mikser was the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu and from 2003–2005, the chairman of the National Defence Committee of the Riigikogu.
- From 2003–2014, Mikser belonged to the Estonian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.From 2008–2010, he served as the Vice President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
The Foreign Minister
The Minister is appointed and dismissed by the Prime Minister.
The Foreign Minister will represent Estonia in foreign relations according to the Foreign Relations Act, other laws and international custom and practice.
The Foreign Minister is responsible for shaping Estonia’s positions concerning the ministry’s jurisdiction; represents Estonia at the European Union’s General Affairs Council and Foreign Affairs Council and at other European Union meetings concerning foreign relations at the ministerial level.
The Foreign Minister appoints and dismisses the ministry’s undersecretaries and director generals of the departments at the proposal of the secretary general.
Minister of Foreign Affairs shall submit an application for the appointment or dismissal of an Extraordinary or Plenipotentiary Ambassador to the Government of the Republic on the recommendation of the evaluation committee of the ministry.
The Foreign Minister shall make proposals to the Government of the Republic concerning the proposed annual budget and, if necessary, the draft of the supplementary budget, decide on the use of budgetary resources and monitor the accurate and efficient execution of the budget.